Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The "Judgement" Day

I had my lasik done on 26 Nov 08 and had opted for the Intralase technique (i.e. blade-free). Can't imagine having a knife on my eyes! All-in-all, I paid $3.7k for the whole surgery including 3 after-ops review and medication.

While waiting for my turn, though feeling scared, it's quite amazing to see patients after patients going into the surgery room with glasses and leaving the clinic wearing sunglasses.....they have all gone through lasik!

When it was finally my turn, I was brought to a room where the medical staff explained the medication to be taken after the lasik. I was then led to another room where the staff dripped 3 different eye drops: antibiotics and to numb my eyes. While waiting, I kept thinking if the medication has taken effect and if my eyes are already numbed....also I could hear wielding-like sounds and heard converstaions between the doc and his patient. Within minutes, his lasik is done!

Next, I could hear hear the patient talking and walking passed my room, then, the doc popped in and talked to me. He assured me that everything would be ok. He told me that there are 2 steps in the procedure: First, is to "slice" the top layer of my cornea (both L & R side); then secondly, the lasik will remove (think it's burning cos I can smell smoke) some layers to flatten my corneas.

I was then led to the ops room. It is a cold room of 20 deg celcius. As I lay on the bed, the staff adjusted my head and made sure I fit well into the head rest. That is to prevent me from moving. Next the doc started the process by placing a round thing (something like manifying glass without the glass) over my right eye. Probably to "pop"my eyes? Solunds scary but no pain but just some pressure. Then the bed turned and I was under a huge equipment. All I have to do is to look at a red light. Anyway, without my glasses, I can't see any thing, even the red light is blur! Didn't feel anything or hear anthing during the process. Just the heard the doc says, "good, well done". Then the bed was turned back to the same place. The round thing was removed and placed over my left eye. The same process was repeated for my left eye.

Next, the doc started taping my right eye and asked me to focus on a red light again. (I think) He then flipped my top cornea layer, as the red dot became even blurer, and the lasik starts. I could hear wielding sound and smelt smoke. The process probably took about 1-2 mins. After that, the cornea flap was placed back (the red dots looks clearer) and lots of eye drops was applied. I could see a brush brushing across my eyes!

The same process was repeated for my left eye and then it was done! The staff then helped me up and, WOW, I could see the doc and the staff quite well!!! Amazing!!! Vision is clear except that it's quite hazy...like walking in between clouds. The doc explains that it's because of the "halo" effect.

The process is really very fast. I had my appointment at 1230 hrs and I was discharge at 1415 hrs!

My eyes started to tear and sore 20 mins after the numbness medication wears off. I can't really open my eyes and was "crying" for about 5 hours. The only thing I could do is to lay on bed, forcing myself to open my eyes to drip the eye drops every hour. The soreness finally went off around 2030 hrs.

I was really very glad that my hubby supported my decision by sending and fetching me after the surgery. He took care of the kids that night and kept telling the kids that mommy needs to sleep, don't disturb, etc..... :)

No comments: